Liliana Ortega: “teníamos que apoyar a la gente con carencias”

En este momento estás viendo Liliana Ortega: “teníamos que apoyar a la gente con carencias”

In English

Liliana Ortega: «We had to support those in need».

Liliana Ortega, a Venezuelan lawyer and human rights advocate, had made the decision reluctantly and, although she seemed resolute, was about to change her mind. That day, she said goodbye to everyone in the office, determined not to return. Her parents wanted her away from anything to do with politics. They advised her to focus exclusively on her college studies, without looking elsewhere.

It was the end of April 1989. She was going down the escalators of the Congress of the Republic (former name of the Legislative in Venezuela) administrative building, located on Esquina de Pajaritos, after meeting with some members of the parliamentary group of MAS ([Movimiento Al Socialismo] Movement Towards Socialism – center-left), the political party of former guerilla, then congressman, and ultimately news publisher Teodoro Petkoff. The man whom she greatly admired and respected had formed a team of 10 people to handle the complaints filed by relatives of the victims of El Caracazo, a series of riots that took place in Caracas and Miranda State between late February and early March that same year.

In the midst of that situation, Liliana wanted to help. That is why she did not want to quit her job. As a law student, she had been engaged in receiving complaints and advising the victims’ families on different proceedings.

One of these persons was Petra Bello, who was then going up the other escalator lane of that government building. Liliana Ortega was moved by the personal tragedy of this woman, who had not heard from her son since February 27, almost two months earlier. He was missing among the 300 people victim to what was later identified as extrajudicial executions. 

Liliana returned to meet Mrs. Bello and they talked for a while. She suggested some paperwork that needed to be completed. Without Liliana telling her about her resignation when they said goodbye, the lady, unsuspecting of what was going on, said a few words that she still remembers: «See you tomorrow».

There was no turning back. She was committed to these people, to the victims and their families. For her, it was important to stay in the office, to continue the work she was doing on behalf of the disappeared, to continue to live by Petra’s words. Therefore, the next morning, she decided to go back. Thirty years later, she is still doing it.

Ultimately, her parents put up no resistance. Liliana managed to graduate as a lawyer from Santa María University (Universidad Santa María) that same year. Although she had an uncle who was a lawyer, her family was essentially of techies, almost all linked to the world of engineering. However, community service was always front and center. 

«My parents thought it was a complicated job with a lot of dangers, which is very true. They thought I could have an easier and more comfortable life. For them, equality was an important value and it was something I grew up with. Understanding that there were privileged people and that we had to support those in need,» Ortega says. 

Her presence in the Committee of Relatives of Victims of El Caracazo (Comité de Familiares de Víctimas del Caracazo, Cofavic), as it since named itself after being chartered in the form of a non-governmental organization (NGO), was more recurrent. There were no other such institutions in the country. They were pioneers for Human Rights advocacy in Venezuela.

«It was not a topic that was talked about much. There was not even monitoring of cases, or specialists. We are the only organization of victims’ relatives that has been in existence for so many years. Then we expanded, we opened a series of work areas, for example psychosocial support, international litigation and extrajudicial executions other than El Caracazo«.

Her tenure in the party parliamentary group ended soon after. In addition, the fact of establishing a separate organization meant a turning point. The reason for this decision was a number of complaints filed with the Supreme Court of Justice demanding that the clandestine graves in the area of the Southern General Cemetery named «La Peste», where the dead of El Caracazo were found, be opened. 

«We wanted information on and documentation of the victims. We were able to take that case to the Attorney General’s Office. I devoted myself to working with international experts and studying other experiences,» she explains. They joined the Latin American Federation of the Detained and Disappeared (Federación Latinoamericana de Detenidos y Desaparecidos, Fedefam), a coalition of Latin American organizations based in Caracas, since Venezuela was at the time the country with the most democratic guarantees in the region.

At that time, it was decided that Cofavic should be run by the relatives of the victims themselves; but they also included other people. They needed experts to provide guidance on the work. Among them was Liliana, who became a co-founder and was the liaison with Latin American activists. 

Liliana Ortega worked with Loyola Guzman, Ernesto «Che» Guevara’s wingman, was in contact with Argentina’s Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo and with the relatives of the victims of wars in Central America and Colombia. «For us it was a school. We engaged with people who had a vast experience and that is why we set the objectives: We did not want to make partisan politics.»

Even so, criticism did not take long to surface. Both the organization and she were accused by conservative columnists from some media. They stated that Liliana had been trained in Angola and that she belonged to the Latin American Left; but it was not true, the first experience in Human Rights that she had had in her life was Cofavic, stemming from the aftermath of El Caracazo

«In 1989, the rupture occurred: The shattering of the ‘showcase of the Americas’. In Venezuela, it was the scar of El Caracazo. It marked a before and after in the country, because of the magnitude and impact it had,» she says three decades later.

Although she had close associates in government bodies, Liliana never suffered persecution or intimidation by the second government of Carlos Andrés Pérez. However, Cofavic’s voice was uncomfortable to the powers-that-be, since she gathered information they wanted to keep concealed: Everything related to the atrocities and excesses by law enforcement in the wake of the civil disobedience of February 27, 1989, and the following days.

Tensions peaked during the administration of Rafael Caldera in 1994. It was no wonder: Complaints had been filed with international organizations and proceedings were underway to file a report with the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), which took place in March 1995. 

A year later, another case was filed, that of the massacre in the Retén de Catia, a prison in the northwest of Caracas, an event resulting in the death of over 50 people, although to date the number casualties is not known with certainty. With this action, Cofavic expanded its coverage of Human Rights violations in the country.

Those years and thanks to her work in the organization, Liliana was nominated for the Reebok Human Rights Award, granted by the Reebok Foundation to Human Rights activists under 30. 

The work was beginning to bear fruit. Despite a stumbling democracy in the late 1990s, the decade meant the consolidation and recognition of Cofavic, both in Venezuela and throughout the Americas. «Between 1992 and 1993 I began to attend the United Nations. I would get in and out of the country without any problem.» However, things were about to change. 

When Hugo Chavez’s presidential term was inaugurated in February 1999 and he proposed to draft a new constitution, Liliana and other members of the organization actively participated in the articles concerning Human Rights.

However, that same year, they had their first clash with the new administration. The whistleblowing by Cofavic on the atrocities committed in the midst of the Deslave de Vargas – landslides resulting from storms in that state in the center-north of Venezuela with a multitude of fatalities in December 1999 – were not to the liking of the president. The military went too far in their attempts at bringing order to the chaos, and the president, from a military background himself, looked the other way.

The government, which boasted a narrative against past presidents, seemed to forget that Cofavic was the organization that filed the most complaints against what Chavismo dubbed the Fourth Republic. «Nobody filed a case more vehemently than we, not even those leaders, who today are the standard-bearers in rejection of that period. They weren’t there for the victims of El Caracazo; we were». The precedent of those actions today brings them legitimacy; it is the coherence that marks their message and activities.

This was demonstrated in 2002. On April 11 that year, a coup against Hugo Chávez was staged and the democratic State was dismantled for a few days. The organization kept an eye on the arbitrary arrests conducted by law enforcement bodies, also blowing the whistle on the attacks against those holding government positions. 

However, the deterioration of relations reached a point of no return between 2003 and 2005, before the crisis drowned the population. «We published a book, Grupos parapoliciales en Venezuela (Para Police groups in Venezuela), and that did not sit well. They began to discredit those of us who were blowing the whistle on those cases». That alert, which was early, reaffirmed their action.

At present, Liliana Ortega does her work in Cofavic in parallel to her teaching activity at the Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (UCAB). In 1999, Times magazine included her among the Fifty Leaders for the New Millennium in Latin America, a recognition that made her part of Ashoka, an organization promoting social entrepreneurship. 

In 2010, she was awarded the National Order of Merit in Officer Rank by the French government. In addition, in 2017, in the face of a gloomy outlook marked by protests against Nicolás Maduro, she received the Franco-German Award for Human Rights and Rule of Law.

She never imagined that the meeting with Petra Bello, in late April 1989, would take her through this entire journey. At the time, she was barely 23 years old and she only wanted to help her with the situation regarding her son, Juan Acasio Mena Bello, who, over three decades after El Caracazo, is still missing.

The real figures are a historical debt, stats the government still does not release.

Liliana Ortega, abogada y defensora de derechos humanos venezolana, había tomado la decisión a regañadientes y, aunque parecía firme, estaba a punto de cambiar de opinión. Ese día, se despidió de todos en la oficina, dispuesta a no regresar más. Sus padres la querían lejos de todo lo que tenía que ver con política. Le aconsejaron que debía concentrarse exclusivamente en sus estudios universitarios, sin mirar para otros lados.

Fue a finales de abril de 1989. Bajaba las escaleras mecánicas del edificio administrativo del Congreso de la República (nombre anterior del poder legislativo en Venezuela), ubicado en la Esquina de Pajaritos, después de reunirse con algunos miembros de la fracción parlamentaria del MAS (Movimiento Al Socialismo, centroizquierda), el partido político del exguerrillero, a la sazón diputado y finalmente editor periodístico Teodoro Petkoff. Él, un hombre al que admiraba y respetaba mucho, había conformado un equipo de 10 personas para atender las denuncias de los familiares de las víctimas del Caracazo, una serie de disturbios suscitados en Caracas y el Estado Miranda entre finales de febrero y principios marzo de ese mismo año.

En medio de aquella situación, Liliana quiso ayudar. Por eso no quería abandonar el trabajo. Como estudiante de Derecho, se había encargado de recibir las denuncias y de asesorar a los familiares de las víctimas con relación a diferentes trámites.

Una de estas personas era Petra Bello, quien en ese momento subía por el otro canal de las escaleras mecánicas de aquel edificio gubernamental. A Liliana Ortega, la tragedia personal que vivía esa señora la conmovió, pues no sabía nada de su hijo desde el 27 de febrero, hacía dos meses. Estaba desaparecido entre las 300 víctimas de lo que luego identificaron como ejecuciones extrajudiciales.

“En 1989 ocurrió el rompimiento: la ruptura de la ‘vitrina de las Américas’. En Venezuela fue la impronta del Caracazo. Marcó un antes y un después en el país, por la magnitud y el impacto que tuvo”

Liliana regresó al encuentro de la señora Bello y conversaron un rato. Le sugirió unos trámites que le faltaba realizar. Al despedirse, sin haberle comentado Liliana sobre su retiro, la señora, inocente de lo que ocurría, le dijo unas palabras que aún recuerda: “nos vemos mañana”.

No había vuelta atrás. Estaba comprometida con esas personas, con las víctimas y sus familiares. Para ella, era importante mantenerse en la oficina, continuar el trabajo que hacía por los desaparecidos, seguir viviendo conforme a las palabras de Petra. Entonces, a la mañana siguiente, decidió volver. 30 años después, lo sigue haciendo.

A fin de cuentas, sus padres no pusieron resistencia. Liliana consiguió graduarse de abogada de la Universidad Santa María ese mismo año. Aunque tenía un tío que era abogado, su familia era esencialmente de técnicos, casi todos vinculados al mundo de la ingeniería. Sin embargo, las labores sociales siempre estuvieron sobre la mesa.

“Mis padres pensaban que era un oficio complicado y con muchos peligros, lo cual es muy cierto. Pensaban que podía tener una vida más fácil y más cómoda. Para ellos, la igualdad era un valor importante y fue algo con lo que crecí. Entender que había gente privilegiada y que teníamos que apoyar a la gente con carencias”, comenta Ortega.

Su presencia en el Comité de Familiares de Víctimas del Caracazo (Cofavic), como empezó a llamarse la organización no gubernamental (ONG) después de adquirir personalidad jurídica, fue más recurrente. No existían otras instituciones de ese tipo en el país. Eran pioneros en la defensa de los Derechos Humanos en Venezuela.

“No era un tema del que se hablara mucho. Ni siquiera había monitoreo de casos, tampoco especialistas. Somos la única organización de familiares de víctimas que tiene tantos años de haberse creado. Después trascendimos, abrimos una serie de áreas de trabajo, por ejemplo de apoyo psicosocial, de litigio internacional y de ejecuciones extrajudiciales distintos al Caracazo”.

Los tiempos en la fracción [bancada] parlamentaria terminaron pronto. Además, el hecho de conformarse como una organización aparte significó un punto de inflexión. La razón que motivó esa decisión fue el conjunto de denuncias interpuestas ante la Corte Suprema de Justicia que exigían la apertura de las fosas clandestinas del área del Cementerio General del Sur denominada “La Peste”, donde se localizó a los muertos del Caracazo.

“Queríamos información y documentación de las víctimas. Logramos llevar ese caso a la Fiscalía [General de la República]. Me dediqué a trabajar con expertos internacionales y a estudiar, pues, otras experiencias”, explica. Se unieron a la Federación Latinoamericana de Detenidos y Desaparecidos (Fedefam), una coalición de organizaciones latinoamericanas con sede en Caracas, pues Venezuela era para la época el país con mayores garantías democráticas en la región.

En ese momento, se decidió que Cofavic debía ser llevado por los propios familiares de las víctimas, pero también incluyeron a otras personas. Necesitaban expertos que orientaran el trabajo. Entre ellos estaba Liliana, quien se convirtió en cofundadora y era el nexo con los activistas latinoamericanos.

Liliana Ortega trabajó con Loyola Guzmán, la mano derecha de Ernesto “Che” Guevara, estuvo en contacto con las madres de la Plaza de Mayo (Argentina) y con los familiares de las víctimas de las guerras en Centroamérica y Colombia. “Para nosotros fue una escuela. Compartimos con gente que tenía una vasta experiencia y por eso definimos los objetivos: no quisimos hacer una política partidista”.

Aun así, las críticas no tardaron en llegar. Tanto la organización como ella recibieron acusaciones en algunos medios de comunicación, por parte de articulistas conservadores. Decían que Liliana había sido entrenada en Angola y que pertenecía a la izquierda latinoamericana; pero no era verdad, la primera experiencia en materia de Derechos Humanos que había tenido en su vida era Cofavic, surgida a raíz de lo ocurrido en el Caracazo.

“En 1989 ocurrió el rompimiento: la ruptura de la ‘vitrina de las Américas’. En Venezuela fue la impronta del Caracazo. Marcó un antes y un después en el país, por la magnitud y el impacto que tuvo”, cuenta tres décadas después.

A pesar de que tenía allegados en instituciones del Estado, Liliana nunca padeció de persecución o amedrentamiento por parte del segundo gobierno de Carlos Andrés Pérez. No obstante, la voz de Cofavic sí molestaba en las altas esferas, pues recabó una información que deseaban mantener oculta: todo lo vinculado con las atrocidades y el exceso de la fuerza pública frente a la desobediencia civil del 27 de febrero de 1989 y los días siguientes.

Las tensiones llegaron con la administración de Rafael Caldera en 1994. No era para menos: las denuncias se habían presentado ante instancias internacionales y se preparaban los trámites para introducir un informe ante la Comisión Interamericana de Derechos Humanos (CIDH), lo cual ocurrió en marzo de 1995.

Nadie denunció un caso con mayor gravedad que nosotros, ni siquiera esos líderes, que hoy levantan las banderas en rechazo a ese período. Ellos no acompañaron a las víctimas del Caracazo; nosotros sí”

Un año después, se presentó otro caso, el de la masacre en el Retén de Catia, una prisión al noroeste de Caracas, suceso que implicó la muerte de más de 50 personas, aunque a la fecha se desconoce con certeza el número de fallecidos. Con esta acción, Cofavic amplió su cobertura de violación de Derechos Humanos en el país.

Por esos años y gracias a su labor en la organización, Liliana fue nominada al Reebok Human Rights Award (Premio Reebok a los Derechos Humanos), que otorga la Fundación Reebok a los activistas de Derechos Humanos menores de 30 años.

El trabajo empezaba a dar sus frutos. A pesar de los tumbos de la democracia a finales de los años 90, la década significó la consolidación y el reconocimiento de Cofavic, tanto en Venezuela como en todo el continente americano. “Entre 1992 y 1993 comencé a asistir a Naciones Unidas. Entraba y salía del país sin ningún problema”. Sin embargo, las cosas estaban a punto de cambiar.

Cuando Hugo Chávez asumió la presidencia en febrero de 1999 y planteó elaborar una nueva constitución, Liliana y otros miembros de la organización participaron activamente en los artículos concernientes a los Derechos Humanos.

Sin embargo, ese mismo año, tuvieron el primer choque con la nueva administración. Las denuncias hechas por Cofavic por los atropellos cometidos en medio del Deslave de Vargas – deslizamientos de tierra consecuencia de tormentas en ese estado del centro norte de Venezuela con multitud de víctimas fatales en diciembre de 1999 – no fueron del agrado del presidente. Los militares se excedieron al intentar ordenar el caos, y el mandatario, de formación castrense, hizo caso omiso.

El gobierno, que alardeaba de un discurso contra los presidentes del pasado, parecía olvidar que Cofavic era la organización que más denuncias presentó en contra de lo que el chavismo llamaba la Cuarta República. “Nadie denunció un caso con mayor gravedad que nosotros, ni siquiera esos líderes, que hoy levantan las banderas en rechazo a ese período. Ellos no acompañaron a las víctimas del Caracazo; nosotros sí”. El antecedente de esas acciones hoy les sirve de legitimidad; es la coherencia que caracteriza su mensaje y sus actividades.

Así lo demostraron en 2002. El 11 de abril de ese año, se produjo el golpe contra Hugo Chávez y el Estado democrático se desmanteló por unos días. La organización estuvo atenta a las detenciones arbitrarias ejecutadas por las fuerzas de seguridad, también en denunciar los ataques contra aquellos que ejercían cargos gubernamentales.

No obstante, el deterioro de las relaciones llegó a un punto de no retorno entre los años 2003 y 2005, antes de que la crisis asfixiara a la población. “Publicamos un libro, Grupos parapoliciales en Venezuela, y eso no gustó. Empezaron a desacreditar a los que estábamos denunciando esos casos”. Esa alerta, que fue temprana, ratificó su acción.

En el presente, Liliana Ortega realiza su labor en Cofavic en paralelo a la actividad docente en la Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (UCAB). En 1999, la revista Times la incluyó entre los Cincuenta Líderes para el Nuevo Milenio en América Latina, reconocimiento que la hizo parte de Ashoka, organización que promueve el emprendimiento social.

En 2010 le fue otorgada la Orden Nacional del Mérito en Grado de Oficial por el gobierno francés. Además, en 2017, ante un sombrío panorama signado por protestas contra Nicolás Maduro, recibió el Premio Franco-Alemán de Derechos Humanos y Estado de Derecho.

Nunca imaginó que el encuentro con Petra Bello, a finales de abril de 1989, la llevaría por toda esa trayectoria. Entonces, apenas tenía 23 años y solo quería ayudarla con la situación de su hijo, Juan Acasio Mena Bello, quien, más de tres décadas después del Caracazo, continúa desaparecido.

Las cifras reales son una deuda histórica, estadísticas que el gobierno todavía no revela.

MedianalisisCotejoObservatorio Venezolano de Fake NewsEn este país

Deja una respuesta